OSHA OIS Program
Department of Labor
Critical Program Management
- OIS will save OSHA over $3.2M a year in infrastructure costs and will deliver at least $7M a year in operational improvements.
OSHA had an urgent need to replace their legacy mission system as the system was no longer meeting the needs of the users and technically no longer viable. The next generation replacement system, OSHA Information System (OIS), was to serve as the agency’s sole mission system to manage investigations, cases, and enforcement operations. It was designed to enable agency compliance with strategic plan objectives for the next decade and beyond. As this modernization effort and associated program represented the single largest transformation effort in the history of the department, OSHA asked Octo Consulting Group to come in to provide end-to-end program management support. Octo has been under contract with OSHA continuously since the project’s onset in 2006, with Octo being solely accountable for all aspects of critical project management, technical oversight, and technical guidance for the OIS system development activities.
Prior to Octo’s involvement, OSHA had endured three separate failed efforts to replace its outdated system over a 15-year period. In addition, OSHA had its funding stripped by OMB and was facing an increasingly frustrated and irate end user community. Octo’s approach to this was to establish an integrated team of Octo resources and Government personnel from across OSHA that not only adopted best practice approaches for oversight but also adopted soft approaches that yielded high levels of stakeholder trust and engagement.
- Octo provides program management support to OSHA at all levels. Octo developed the Business Case (Exhibit OMB 300) to reconstitute the program as OIS and was then tasked with staffing and managing the PMO. We developed and implemented integrated management processes and controls, including Earned Value Management, Risk Management, Change Management, Information Assurance and Governance.
- Octo performed budget allocation and work distribution for over 10 task orders, including determining rates and hours ceilings for Time and Material (T&M) contracts as well as milestone-based payment plans for Firm-Fixed Price (FFP) contracts.
- Octo issues and tracks multiple task-orders, managing 11 subcontracts. We implemented a timesheet and status report submission and approval process as well as a quality review for deliverables. Our team meets weekly with subcontractor task leads to review project status.
- Octo designed, and is executing, a comprehensive change management plan to engage with, understand the needs of, and secure buy-in from stakeholders. Our team communicates through multiple media channels (newsletters, intranet site, videos, webinars). In addition, Octo manages training program and help desk design and delivery.
Key focus areas included:
- Program Management Support
- Budget Execution
- Workforce Planning
- Performance Management
- Capital Planning
- Organizational Change Management