Client Practice Area:
Performance Based Acquisition
- Developed an RFI approach, template and format has become the standard at Census
- Identified key focus areas for the IT Directorate management to address in anticipation of any procurement actions.
Client Challenge Description:
IT Infrastructure Operations, provided by the Information Technology Directorate, is a complex capability that is critical to the success of on-going operations and services provided to the divisions and customers across the US Census Directorates. In October of 2007, the Census Bureau awarded a contract to provide IT data center support services in the scope of IT Infrastructure Operations. In order to provide first in class service, the CIO tasked key leadership within ADIT to have Octo Consulting Group develop an acquisition strategy and approach focused on IT Infrastructure Operations. This effort included market research and the issuing of a Request for Information to assess industry’s capabilities to support similar IT Infrastructure Operations across the Federal Government. The RFI was designed to garner sufficient insight and knowledge to inform a the CIO's acquisition strategy.
Client Approach Description:
Octo's approach to this project was to work closely with the acquisition office and to meet one-on-one with Division Chiefs from each Division. As part of this effort, Octo also evaluated the current IT Infrastructure support services using the ITIL v3 framework to identify areas of inefficiencies for inclusion within any future contracting action which provided a critical set of artifacts that the Census can use for future procurements.
Client Solutions Description:
- Upon meeting with Directorate stakeholders and reviewing industry feedback, Octo proposed three alternatives to help mature the Census IT Infrastructure operations. These alternatives focused on operational improvement, organizational realignment and re-competition of the contract.
- Octo worked with Division Chiefs to assess where their existing support was overlapping with that of data center operations.
- Octo evaluated the current IT Infrastructure support services using the ITIL v3 framework to identify areas of inefficiencies for inclusion within any future contracting action
Client Focus Areas:
- Current state infrastructure analysis (based on ITIL)
- Identification of key business and IT challenges
- Concept of Operations development for target-state IT Infrastructure Operations
- RFI development and response analysis
- Development of reccomendations for sourcing strategy
- Provided a comprehensive understanding of the current IT Infrastructure Operations
- Provided a clear picture to IT management regarding the full scope of IT Infrastructure Operations services required and the inherit complexities
- Issued a Request for Information that generated 17 industry responses the analysis of which was used to inform the future acquisition strategy