Enterprise Data Warehouse Implementation Support
- Succesfull deployment of Amtrak's first Enterprise Data Warehouse
- On-going maintenance support of the EDW, with deployment of new subject areas
Amtrak did not possess a means for analyzing and leveraging data across the enterprise. Critical data was held primarily in disparate Online Transaction Processing Systems (OLTP). Some data marts were developed to provide insight into Key Performance Indicators (KPI) for the Amtrak Board of Directors and Chief Operations Officer, but these data marts provided generally poor cross-functional, historical details that inhibit the user’s ability to make timely decisions and provide insight across the various areas of the business. Octo Consulting Group was part of a team to provide Enterprise Data Warehouse support to Amtrak.
The goal of the engagement was to design and implement an Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) to provide Amtrak the ability leverage Business Intelligence (BI) to make timely decisions and provide insight across the Amtrak organizational enterprise (Marketing, Train Operations, and Enterprise Resource & Planning). Building the first release of the data warehouse was an important objective, but building the capacity of Amtrak and its contractors to take over and deliver subsequent releases is a prime objective as well.
- Analysis of the Enterprise Information Architecture and EDW Development and Deployment Plan developed by Gartner
- Analysis and documentation of Amtrak organizational groups business requirements
- Delivery of an EDW conceptual, logical, and physical architecture
- Provisioning of Data Analysis and Modeling, and ETL Testing services
- Introduction of repeatable development and testing processes
Key focus areas included:
- Enterprise Datawarehouse
- Data Analysis